For Kindergarten and Schools
The ESO Supernova is offering an extensive educational programme for Kindergarten groups starting from age 4, and both primary and high school classes. All the various subjects that the programme deals with are curriculum orientated, and are brought into an astronomical context and connected with the latest discoveries and developments at the European Southern Observatory. In this way ESO is bringing cutting edge science into the classroom, encouraging inquiry around curriculum based learning.
What is the education programme?
The educational programme consists of an age-appropriate tour of the exhibition that ranges 2200 square metres, a planetarium show and an age-appropriate workshop. Each part of the programme lasts approximately one hour for primary and high school students, and approximately 30 minutes for Kindergarten. Therefore you can plan approximately three hours for the entire educational programme (for Kindergarten approximately 1.5 hours). You can, of course, book only parts of the educational programme.
On which days is the education programme offered?
The ESO Supernova is offering the educational programme from Wednesday to Friday, but not on public holidays. During school holidays you can also book the educational programme as head of a school class or kindergarten group. Please note that during the holidays the planetarium offer may change.
How many people can take part?
To have an worthwhile experience the number of participants should not exceed 30.
How much does it cost?
The workshops, the entrance of ESO Supernova, the exhibition and the planetarium shows are all free of charge. Donations are very welcome.
How to find a date?
- Planetarium show only and a visit of the exhibition (on your own): In this case you look in the ESO online calendar on your preferred day to the show you’d like to see. If the calendar shows enough seats for this particular show, then you’d send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the desired date and name of the show as well as the exact number of tickets required. We will take care of the reservation!
- Planetarium show, guided tour of the exhibition and workshop: In that case, you search in the ESO online calendar for a day on which neither a workshop (light brown date), nor a tour (red date) or an external event (dark brown date) is listed.
- The following calendar cutout shows that an educational programme with workshop and guided tour is not possible at any day of this particular week.
- Whereas the following cutout of the online calendar displays a week in which every day the full educational programme can be booked. In this case all you have to do is to choose which planetarium show suits you best and matches with the age of your group. Also make sure that there are enough seats available for your group.
- It is possible that you will not be able to find any scheduled planetarium shows in the online calendar from a certain date onwards. That will be because we haven’t finished the planning of the programme beyond that date. You then can still book the educational programme if no workshops or guided tours have been listed for your desired date. Which planetarium show takes place on this day is then still open.
How to arrange the schedule of your visit?
The schedule of your visit depends a lot on the starting time of the planetarium show you’ve chosen. These times are fixed. The schedule of the other two parts (tour & workshop) of the educational programme can be arranged. You’ll specify your wishes regarding the schedule when booking via the online form.
Which workshops are offered?
The workshops we offer together with their maximum duration can be found here. The duration of the workshops can be shortened without any problems to one hour if desired.
How to book the education programme?
- Planetarium show only and a visit of the exhibition (on your own): Send an email to email@example.com with the desired date and name of the show as well as the exact number of tickets required. We will take care of the reservation!
- Planetarium show, guided tour of the exhibition and workshop: Please fill out the online form below and submit it to ESO Supernova. Without this form we cannot deal with your booking request. We’ll check your request as soon as possible and come back to you later on. Please note that your educational programme will only take place if you have received a confirmation email from us.