The educational programme in the COVID-19 pandemic!
Due to the current COVID-19 situation and the corresponding restrictions such as physical distancing, we are currently not able to offer ESO educational programs (guided tours or workshops) on site at ESO Supernova. However, you are very welcome to participate in our online offerings. If you would like to visit us anyway, please check out the measures in place here beforehand.
The maximum number of visitors to the exhibition is currently limited. Registration of school and kindergarten groups to visit the exhibition is therefore required before the visit. Guided tours are not possible due to the distance requirement. Keeping physical distance and wearing a FFP2-mask is also obligatory for school groups.
Planetarium shows are available again. At the moment they are only published a week in advance so that we can react promptly should the incidence figures become worse again. However, we can also make a reservation for a later date. If we then have to close again because of COVID-19, your visit would then need be cancelled. Unfortunately, the morning slots in July are already fully booked. Masks and distance rules also apply in the planetarium. If pupils are allowed to sit in the Planetarium without spacing, we need confirmation of this from your headmaster. If all pupils have to sit separately, unfortunately only 19 people will fit in the planetarium. If you would like to see a planetarium show with a class or kindergarten group, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the date of your visit and the show you would like to see. You will find our programme here.
Our workshops are designed for inquiry based learning. The experiments are therefore conducted by working in groups or pairs. Unfortunately, this contradicts the current measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, so that we cannot offer workshops until further notice.
We hope that the COVID-19 situation will ease again during the year and that we can offer the educational program as usual. A booking or reservation for a date in 2021 or later is not possible. How our educational program normally looks like and how to book it normally, you can read below.
ESO Supernova's educational programme.
Astronomy education is about one of the oldest natural and cultural sciences. It is using the most modern and overwhelming technologies trying to unravel some of the oldest questions like "How did this all began - will it ever end?" or "Are we alone?". In terms of science education in general astronomy can act as a gateway science opening the door for all STEM fields. ESO Supernova's educational programme, teacher trainings and resources are set up to foster the fascination and joy of science, to encourage discovery and self-directed learning in teams and to share ESO Supernova's passion for our universe with everyone.
Trainings for Teachers & Educators
Science and society is a rapidly evolving field and such is science education. ESO Supernova supports teachers and educators in keeping them up to date with recent developments and discoveries in astronomy and engineering by providing hands-on teacher trainings on those topics. Educators K-12 will not only learn the latest from current research, but also discover how this can be transferred into the classroom in a contemporary and sustainable way. You'll find more about what ESO Supernova offers especially for educators and about past and future teacher trainings here .
Programme for School- and Kindergarten Groups
Astronomy is a very interdisciplinary scientific discipline that incorporates all natural sciences taught in schools, as well as mathematics, computer science and even more. We make use of the students' interest for astronomy as a driving force for them to acquire science literacy. We have placed curricula learning contents in an astronomical context, designed hands-on workshops, planetarium shows and exhibition tours and so created unique learning opportunities to experience science like being a scientist for free.
Our educational goal is to ignite curiosity for science and to encourage young ones to think outside the box by combining school knowledge with modern applications in astronomy and engineering. The educational programme is using inquiry based learning strategies with hands-on workshops that can easily be replicated at school or at home. We promote the principle of equality of opportunity for all, especially in terms of education and learning opportunities – for that reason the educational programme is free of charge for school classes and Kindergarten groups. Unfortunately, we cannot offer workshops to day-care groups, after-school childcare or holiday programmes.
So far more than 16000 curious minds (K-12) have taken part in our educational programme together with more than 1500 educators who took the initiative to go on excursion with their students to an extracurricular learning site. Such special events promote motivation, curiosity and interest for MINT subjects and regarding the understanding of science can help to make the penny drop.
What is the education programme?
Depending on how much time you have at ESO Supernova and how large your group is, we can tailor your educational programme to suit the group’s interests.
The full educational programme consists of
- an age-appropriate guided tour of the exhibition that ranges 2200 square metres and covers all facets of astronomy and earthbound telescope technology (30 min for Kindergarten, 60 min for schools) or a tour of ESO Headquarters for participants older than 10 years (60 min) (more about tours)
- a planetarium show including an explanation of the sky tonight (45 min for Kindergarten, 60 min for schools)
- an age-appropriate workshop
but also booking of parts of it (e.g. only a planetarium show) is possible.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer workshops to individuals, birthday parties, day-care groups, after-school childcare or holiday programmes.
- The educational programme is offered only from Wednesday to Friday, but not on public holidays.
- Workshops and tours are limited to a maximum number of 30 students. If you want to book for larger school groups (up to 60), we will form two groups and perform a workshop with each group one after the other. No guided tour will be possible but the group not conducting the workshop can explore the exhibition on their own.
All parts of the educational programme as well as the entrance to the ESO Supernova are free of charge. Donations are very welcome.
- The full educational programme is only possible on the dates in the calendar below marked in green (provided that enough seats are available in the planetarium).
- Visiting planetarium shows as part of the educational programme may be possible also on the red marked dates but depends whether enough seats are available in the planetarium. Please check on the ESO online calendar.
- Dates, which are further in the future than the calendar below indicates, cannot yet be booked or pre-reserved. Once these dates are released, this will be published in the education newsletter.
The schedule of your visit depends a lot on the slot of the planetarium show you want to experience since the times of the shows are fixed. You’ll find the planetarium shows that are going to be presented on this day on the ESO online calendar. Make sure that the chosen show has enough free seats left. In most cases we can squeeze in a show from Wednesday to Friday (outside holiday periods) at 10:00, 11:30, 14:00 or 15:30 if no other show is being shown at the planetarium at this hour. The schedule of the other parts (tour & workshop) can be arranged. Please be aware that there need to be breaks (at least 15 min) between the activities.
- Planetarium show only: Send an email to email@example.com with the desired date and name of the show as well as the exact number of tickets required. We will take care of the reservation! We are open for school classes from Wednesday to Friday from 9:00 - 17:00. We close the ESO Supernova for cleaning from 12:30 to 13:30. Planetarium shows are Wednesday - Friday at 10:30 and 15:30 and last about one hour.
- Planetarium show, guided tour of the exhibition and workshop: Since this kind of educational programme is unfortunately not bookable at the moment we have deactivated the online form. Under normal circumstances you'd need to fill out the online form below and submit it to ESO Supernova. Without this form we cannot deal with your booking request. We'll check your request as soon as possible and come back to you later on. Please note that your educational programme will only take place if you have received a confirmation email from us.