We are delighted to be able to welcome you again to the ESO Supernova Planetarium & Visitor Centre. The health and safety of our visitors and staff is of great importance to us and, in line with guidance from the authorities, we have developed a comprehensive hygiene and safety concept to provide you with the safest and most enjoyable experience possible. Before your visit, we ask that you read about our general hygiene and safety measures as well as the special measures we have implemented for the exhibition and the planetarium.
By working together and all observing guidelines, we can protect each other, reduce the spread of COVID-19 and ensure the ESO Supernova, and other such visitor attractions, can be enjoyed safely by as many people as possible.
General hygiene and safety measures :
NEW! 2G+ rules (vaccinated/recovered and additionally tested or boostered) valid from 24 November 2021 on:
A visit to the ESO Supernova is then only possible with the proof of a complete vaccination against COVID-19 or a recovery from an infection with the coronavirus and an additional, negative, certified COVID-19 test or booster vaccination.
The following evidence will be accepted:
A COVID-19 vaccination certificate, showing you are fully vaccinated. The condition for this is that the vaccine has been approved by the Paul Ehrlich Institute (you can find a list here) and that at least 14 days have passed since the last required individual vaccination.
Proof of recovery from an infection with the coronavirus that was at least 28 days and a maximum of three months ago and was proven in the laboratory.
- In addition to one of the proofs above, a booster vaccination, a proof of recovery from an infection after the vaccination or a certified antigen-test (valid for 24h, no on-site tests possible) or PCR-test (valid for 48h). For schoolchildren who are regularly tested at school, these tests count as proof.
In all cases, visitors should also bring a photo ID card or equivalent.
- You cannot visit the ESO Supernova without the above evidence. Tickets will not be refunded, rebooked or converted into a voucher.
- Children under 14 years are exempt from the 2G+ rules - please bring a proof of age.
- Wearing a FFP2-mask (visitors aged 16 years and older) is compulsory in the ESO Supernova (age 6-15 years: medical or FFP2-mask mandatory; below age 6 years: mouth-nose-cover recommended).
- Please observe physical distancing of at least 2 m to persons who do not belong to your own household.
- Hand sanitiser stations are available throughout the building.
- Building is equipped with a highly effective ventilation system.
- Enhanced cleaning especially of the contact surfaces and the planetarium.
- ALL visits must be booked in advance (even free of charge self-guided visits to the exhibition).
- Reduction of bookable planetarium seats to a quarter (27 seats instead of 109)
- Limited number of visitors per day.
- One-way system in the whole building.
- Change of opening hours:
- Wednesday-Friday: from 09:00-12:30 and from 13:30-17:00 (if you want to visit us in the morning and in the afternoon you'll need to book a ticket for both slots)
- Weekend: from 12:00-17:00
- Please stay at home if you feel unwell or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Entrance only with prior booked free entrance ticket or planetarium ticket valid for the same morning or afternoon.
- Entrance ticket is valid the whole morning or afternoon starting from the time indicated on the ticket .
- Wearing masks is mandatory (see general hygiene and safety measures ).
- Observe one-way system and floor marks to avoid clustering.
- Sanitise your hands before using any hands-on exhibits.
- Online advance booking of planetarium tickets is essential.
- Wearing masks during the show is mandatory (see general hygiene and safety measures ).
- Be at ESO Supernova on time and listen for the announcements of staff for the start of the planetarium entrance to ensure a safe and smooth entry to the planetarium.
If you have questions regarding your visit to ESO Supernova please have a look at our FAQs page. For the protection of others and for the protection of our employees, we reserve the right to draw your attention to violations of the regulations and, if necessary, to remove you from the building.